under construction

Cultural Routes | Cultural Routes of Georgia | Jewish Heritage Cultural Routes in Georgia
Jewish Heritage Cultural Routes in Georgia

Jewish Heritage Cultural Routes in Georgia

The Jewish people are an integral part of European Civilization. Over the millennia, they have made a significant contribution to the development of European culture. The Jewish Heritage Route of the Council of Europe, which was created in 2004, reflects the fascinating history of Jews in Europe. The Route includes 20 member states: Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Malta, Montenegro, Portugal, Republic of Moldova, Republic of North Macedonia, Romania, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovenia and Spain. Georgia joined the Route in 2017.
 
The Jewish Diaspora is one of the most ancient in Georgia.  Jews came to Georgia after Nebuchadnezzar raided the Jerusalem and destroyed the first temple in 586 BC. The language of Georgian Jews from Kartli, Lechkhumi, Racha and Akhaltsikhe did not differ much from the local Georgian dialects, and only in Imereti (Kutaisi, Sachkhere, Kulashi) was founded the Georgian-Jewish language ”Kivruli”, which contained a small radius of Jewish and Aramaic linguistic formations. The Jewish Heritage Route narrates the history of the Jews living in Georgia, namely, the route passes through 21 towns and 43 locations where Jewish cultural heritage artifacts have been discovered. Nationwide, Jewish cultural heritage includes synagogues, Jewish heritage monuments, museums, graves, and archaeological artifacts.


 
The member of the European Association for the Preservation and Promotion of Jewish Culture and Heritage
in Georgia: Israeli House
 
Address: 4 Liberty sq. Tbilisi, Georgia 0105
info@israelihouse.net 



TBILISI-(1).jpgTBILISI








Tbilisi is the capital and the largest city of Georgia, Founded in the 5th century AD by Vakhtang I Gorgasali, where the First Congress of Caucasus Zionists was held in. Tbilisi has a Jewish population of about 1500 out of a general population of 1.5 million.


 



Great-Synagogue.jpgGREAT SYNAGOGUE

The Great Synagogue is located in the old historical district of Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia. The building, also known as the Georgian Synagogue, was built from 1895 to 1903 by Georgian Jews from Akhaltsikhe, who migrated to Tbilisi in the late 19th century, this the synagogue is also called "Synagogue of the People of Akhaltsikhe".

The synagogue was renovated in the years 2011-2012.  The Synagogue condition is fair and active. Its construction material is brick, its architectural significance is artistic decoration and there are paintings in the prayer hall. Today, the Great Synagogue of Tbilisi is one of the most important tourist attractions in the city. As it turns out, the synagogue has more than dozens of visitors daily, mainly tourists from Israel.


 



Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia1.jpgTBILISI SYNAGOGUE


The Ashkenazi Synagogue in Tbilisi was built by the Jews of Tskhinvali in the 1910s. It is also named Beit Rachel. This is an active synagogue, which is located in the old Tbilisi historical district. The Ashkenazi Synagogue (Beit Knesset) had been on the verge of collapse for a long time. Jews living in Tbilisi and Moscow donated money to restore the synagogue, and it was renovated in 2007.  

 



Israeli-House.jpgISRAELI HOUSE

The Israeli House NET (NGO) was established in 2013  and works to achieve solidarity by public diplomacy and enhance the cooperation between Israel and friendly states among them Georgia. One of the important goals is to promote the Jewish Heritage, and present it a bridge between Georgia, Israel and the World Jewry, and also to promote the remembrance of the Holocaust. 

At the Israeli House NET, lectures on topics related to Israel and Jewish Culture and Heritage are conducted regularly. Also, meetings, exhibitions, presentations and seminars are organized in the cultural, economic, business, technological or political spheres. 

The organization’s Advisory Board includes international representatives: diplomats, leading businessmen, heads of the international organizations, academic staff and public figures. 

The initiator of the organization is Itsik Moshe, the president of the Israel-Georgia Chamber of Business and the first representative of the World Jewish Agency “Sokhnut” in 1990-s when the “Great Aliyah" started from the USSR.

Israeli House NET is a member of the European Alliance for Israel (EAI) and The European Association for the Preservation and Promotion of Jewish Culture and Heritage (AEPJ)/Cultural Route certified by the Council of Europe.

Israeli House NET is the official representative of the European Route of Jewish Heritage of the Council of Europe in Georgia.


 




Georgian-National-Museum.jpgGEORGIAN NATIONAL MUSEUM

The unification of ten different museums, the National Gallery, four house museums and two research centers in one system in 2004 formed the Georgian National Museum (GNM), the largest museum complex in the country today.


The Georgian National Museum presents internationally significant collections of art and dynamic, changing exhibitions, providing audiences with inspiration and knowledge of the wonderful world of culture, art, science and education. The evidences and proof of the oldest human existence in Eurasia are displayed together with magnificent Medieval Christian art, stunning gold and silver jewelry from the ancient land of Colchis, spectacular modern and contemporary paintings of Georgian artists and masterpieces of the Oriental, Western European and Russian decorative arts.


 


 
Georgian-National-Centre-of-Manuscripts.jpgGEORGIAN NATIONAL CENTRE OF MANUSCRIPTS 

Korneli Kekelidze Georgian National Center for Manuscripts was founded in 1958 and today is one of the most important scientific institutions in the country. The two main directions of the center are the protection  and scientific research of manuscripts.

the Lailashi Bible is one of the significant artifact of the Centre.  The Lailashi Bible represents a handwriting version of Torah, accompanied with comments and colorful geometrical decorative figures. The Jewish manuscript is written on parchment and is the Old Testament with Masoretic text. A paleographic analysis of the manuscript makes it possible to suggest that the manuscript belongs to the X-XI centuries. The Lailashi Bible was found in the village Lailashi, Lechkhumi region in Georgia.



Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-n-Georgia.jpgDAVID BAAZOV MUSEUM OF HISTORY OF THE JEWS OF GEORGIA AND GEORGIAN-JEWISH RELATIONS


The David Baazov Museum of History of Jews of Georgia is a principal museum of the Jewish history and culture in Tbilisi, Georgia. It was established in 1933, under the title 'Jewish Historic-Ethnographic Museum’.

The museum is located at 3 Anton Catholicos St.,Tbilisi. The museum has many exhibits and rarities - archeological, ethnographic, historical, epigraphic, manuscript, printed, artistic, archives, photographs, etc. The museum has published important scientific works for kartvelology/georgian studies. 9 volumes of Hebrew studies.Expeditions are held by the museum in different parts of Georgia, exhibitions, international scientific conferences dedicated to the issues of the history of Georgian Jews, Georgian-Jewish and Georgian-Palestinian relations

 



Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia.jpgDAMPALO JEWISH CEMETERY

Nowadays, Tbilisi Jews bury their relatives at the Dampalo Cemetery, quite far from the city center and the city’s two functioning synagogues. Dampalo Graveyard is located on the outskirts of Tbilisi Varketili. It is maintained by the city and members of Tbilisi’s Jewish community.






 





Archeological-Museum-of-Mtskheta.jpgARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF MTSKHETA

The Armazi Bilingual is kept in the Archeological Museum of Mtskheta. The bilingual Greco-Aramaic tombstone inscription commemorating the short-lived Serapita and her noble lineage. It contains an unusual, in its ductus and some of its forms, version of the Aramaic alphabet which came to be known as the "Armazi script" although it can also be found outside Armazi, in other parts of Georgia.


 



AKHALTSIKHE.jpgAKHALTSIKHE







Akhaltsikhe is a small city in Georgia's southwestern region of Samtskhe-Javakheti. It has an old history of Jews in Akhaltsikhe. There are two synagogues and the Jewish graveyard.


 



Akhaltsikhe-Active-Synagogue.jpgAKHALTSIKHE ACTIVE SYNAGOGUE

The Great Synagogue in Akhaltsikhe synagogue was built in 1863. The Synagogue is located in Akhaltsikhe, at 96 Guramishvili street. This Georgian rite synagogue was extensively renovated in 2012 and now features a beautiful interior of painted wood. 

The  building is built in neo-classical style and is made of stone.Today the building is used as a synagogue, which is part of the Jewish quarter and it has national importance. Partly used as a museum where the portraits of the generations of rabbis who have officiated, it is open in summer, for tourists, mainly Israeli, who come to visit the region.

 



Akhaltsikhe-Synagogue.jpgSMALL SYNAGOGUE INAKHALTSIKHE 

The Akhaltsikhe Synagogue of the Georgian Jews, built in 1905, consists of two large halls. The upper hall which has a women's gallery is sumptuously decorated with geometrical motifs. The spacious lower hall is used by men for daily prayer services and has no women's section.

The building is built in neo-classical style and is made of stone. The shrine isn’t active now, it was closed in 1952.  In the past, film screenings were held here, years ago there was a library, a house of culture, a billiard room and a boxing hall.The Synagogue is located at Guramishvili street..


 



graveyard-in-akhaltsikhe.jpgAKHALTSIKHE JEWISH CEMETERY

Akhaltsikhe is a multinational area in southern Georgia. The Jewish Cemetery  is preserved even though there are practically no Jews left in the town. The Graveyard itself is surrounded by a high stone fence and it is under protection. There are tombs in Akhaltsikhe Graveyard that date back to the 17th century.













 



BATUMI.jpgBATUMI





Batumi is the second largest city of Georgia. A Jewish community was established there in 1878 after the town was incorporated into Russia. By 1897 there were 1,179 Jews living in Batumi. The Jewish population numbered 3,700 in 1923 (6.1% of the total population) and 1,778 in 1939 (2,54% of the total population).


 



Batumi-Synagogue.jpgBATUMI SYNAGOGUE


At the beginning of the 20th century, with the permission of the Emperor Nicholas II of Russia Construction of the “Ashkenazi” stone synagogue started, Which was completed in 1904 under the guidance of architect Semion Vulkovich. It was analogous to the synagogues of Amsterdam and The Hague.

During the Soviet era, the building was used for various purposes. In 1993, the synagogue was again handed over to the Jewish Diaspora. Jews in Batumi appeared mainly after the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878. Currently, about 70 Jews live there. In the synagogue, Jews mostly go on Saturdays and holidays. The Batumi Synagogue is also frequently visited by tourist groups who come from Israel.


 



Batumi-Old-Synagogue.jpgBATUMI OLD SYNAGOGUE

The synagogue was built at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, has been abandoned for several years and it is on the verge of collapse. The building collapsed in Batumi, 9 March Street, in 2015. In the same year, the building was granted the status of a cultural heritage monument. 









 



Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgBATUMI JEWISH CEMETERY

The Jewish Graveyard in Batumi is located in the Beenze district, next to Georgian cemeteries. It has been around for a century and a half and it is still active nowadays. 










 



KUTAISI.jpgKUTAISI


Kutaisi is the legislative town of Georgia, and its 3rd most populous city. Jews lived mainly in the north-east of the city – Kutaisi, on the left bank of the river Rioni. This place was called street Shaumyani. This area was settled more compact by Jews than the other ones. As time passed, most of the Jews left Kutaisi for their historic homeland. A small number of the remaining Jewish families do not live so compact, and you can rarely hear that particular speech characterizing Georgian Jews. But it can be heard in the speech of Georgians who continue to live on the street Shaumyani and it will still be heard for many years in this area.


 



Synagogue-Mtsvanekvavila-Street.jpgTHE GREAT SYNAGOGUE IN KUTAISI



The Synagogue is located in Kutaisi, one of the most ancient cities in the world and the third-most populous city in Georgia. The Synagogue was built in 1886 and nowadays it is active and its condition is fair. The community of the Synagogue was Georgian Jews. The building is located at 8 Boris Gaponov St, its style is Neo-Romanesque and its construction material is stone and there are paintings in the interior. 

 


Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia1-(1).jpgUPPER (MTSVANEKVAVILA) SYNAGOGUE IN KUTAISI 


The Synagogue is located in Kutaisi, one of the most ancient cities in the world and the third-most populous city in Georgia. The Synagogue was built at the middle of the 19th century and nowadays it is not active and its condition is fair. The community of the Synagogue was Georgian Jews. The Synagogue is located in 57-59 Boris Gaponov St.. Its style is Neo-Romanesque and its construction material is stone and there are decorations of paintings in the interior

 



Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia1-(1).jpgSECOND SYNAGOGUE IN KUTAISI 

The second synagogue in Kutaisi was built in 1912 and is surrounded by ancillary buildings. Hebrew was taught here and various Jewish rituals were performed. There was also a bakery where “Matsa” was baked. The Jews of Kutaisi made a great contribution to the development of the city.

Nowadays it is not active and its condition is fair. The community of the Synagogue was Georgian Jews. 





 




LAILASHI.jpgLAILASHI





Lailashi is a village in Georgia, in Racha Lechkhumi and Svaneti. Lailashi has long been known by the Georgian Jews living there according to historians in the beginning of the twentieth century, there lived more than 1,200 grown-up Jews.


 





Lailashi-Synagogue.jpgLAILASHI SYNAGOGUE 


The Lailashi Synagogue was built in the 1860s and was active until the 1970s. 
The Synagogue construction material is stone. Presently the Synagogue  is abandoned. The Synagogue was used as a regional Synagogue, and the condition of building fabric is poor. Lailashi Synagogue kept the Lailashi Bible from the 10th century.





 





l.jpgLAILASHI JEWISH CEMETERY 


There were two Jewish graveyards in Lailashi, but only one remains active nowadays. 100 years old Jewish Cemetery is located between the village of Ghu and Lailashi. At present, the cemetery is not fenced, but well maintained. The Jewish inscriptions on the tombstones are readable. The cemetery has not been active since 1975, but several Jews were buried here from Kutaisi in the 1980s.100 years old




 





la.jpgLAGODEKHI






Lagodekhi is located in eastern Georgia and lies in the heart of Georgian wine country. Lagodekhi is renowned for its natural beauty and most notably the Lagodekhi Nature Reserve. There you can find Jewish graveyard.


 





Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgTCHIAURA JEWISH CEMETERY













 





GORI.jpgGORI





Gori is a city in eastern Georgia, which serves as the regional capital of Shida Kartli and the center of the homonymous administrative district. The name is from Georgian gora, that is, "heap", or "hill". The city has an old history about the Jews in Gori, there is one big synagogue and Jewish graveyard.

 





Gori-Synagogue.jpgGORI SYNAGOGUE






Jewish people lived in Gori for centuries. The Gori Synagogue was established in 1936, it is not active. Its construction material is brick. The Synagogue is located at 25 K.Kasteli Street. 


 





Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgGORI JEWISH CEMETERY



The Jewish Cemetery in Gori is located on the Kvernaki Range, this is a common cemetery where some Jewish graves are located. In the end of the 20th century, after the immigration of Jews to Israel, the cemetery is no longer active, but well maintained. Hebrew inscriptions on the tombs are readable. Jews often come from Israel to visit the graves of their ancestors.




 





KARELI.jpgKARELI








Kareli is a town in Shida Kartli, Georgia. There you can find Kareli Synagogue. It was built in XIX century and the Jewish graveyard.

 






Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia1-(1).jpgKARELI SYNAGOGUE


 



Kareli Synagogue was built in the 19th century. The synagogue was reconstructed in 1990. The synagogue construction material is brick. Today the synagogue is not active.






 






Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpg

KARELI JEWISH CEMETERY

The Jewish Cemetery in Kareli dates back to the 19th century. The Graveyard was active until the second half of the 20th century, before the beginning of Alia, the Jewish immigration to Israel. Today, the cemetery has no caregiver and it is abandoned. 







 





KHASHURI.jpg

KHASHURI






Khashuri is a town in the central part of Georgia and is the 9th largest settlement in Georgia. There is Surami Synagogue – located in Surami, so called Jewish's suburb and the Jewish graveyard.



 





Surami-Synagogue.jpgSURAMI SYNAGOGUE









Surami Synagogue – located in Surami, so called Jewish`s suburb, the date of construction is unknown.

 





surami-jewish-graveyard.jpgSURAMI JEWISH CEMETERY 


Surami Jewish Cemeteryi is very old and it is located on the opposite side of Surami Fortress on Grigol Surameli Street. The cemetery is currently active, fenced, some of the inscriptions on the tombstones are readable. The cemetery is taken care of by local Georgian and local Jews. In addition, Georgian Jews from Israel are financing the maintenance of their ancestors' graves.





 






ATSKURI.jpg

ATSKURI 









Atskuri is a village, in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region. You can find Jewish Graveyard fragments in Atskuri.

 






Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgATSKURI JEWISH CEMETERY



The Jewish Graveyard in Atskuri is preserved and located on the banks of the Mtkvari. The cemetery was fenced in 1957 by Jews from Akhaltsikhe. The cemetery is no longer active, but it is maintained by local Georgian Jew. Jews rarely come from Israel to visit the graves of their ancestors.






 






ONI.jpgONI 







Oni is a town in Racha-Lechkhumi and Kvemo Svaneti region, Georgia. In old times there lived a lot of Jews families. Despite a post-Soviet tendency towards migration, Oni still retains a small number of Jewish families - remnants of once powerful and large historic Jewish community.

 






Oni-Synagogue.jpgONI SYNAGOGUE


The synagogue was built in 1895 in an eclectic style. Which is located in Oni, at 53 Vakhtang VI Street, It is Georgia’s third largest synagogue after the Great Synagogue of Tbilisi and the synagogue of Kutaisi.

This is the oldest functioning synagogue in Georgia. The synagogue was renovated in 1990. Its style is Historicism Neo-Moorish, the construction material is stone, it is in fair condition. It has the status of Culture Monument and its significance rating is national.


 






Jewish-Graveyard-in-onii.jpgONI JEWISH CEMETERY



There are two cemeteries in Oni. One of them is located at the end of Baazov Street and it is important historical source for studying the history of the Jews living in this area.





 





SACHKHERE.jpgSACHKHERE






Sachkhere is a town at the northern edge of the Imereti Province in western Georgia. It is the center of the Sachkhere Municipality. There you can find not active synagogue and the Jewish graveyard.


 






Sachkhere-Synagogue.jpgSACHKHERE SYNAGOGUE






Sachkhere Synagogue was built in the 19th century and closed in 1990. The synagogue is located at 167 Sovetskaia Street. Stone material is used for construction. The ancient synagogue in Sachkhere is currently ruined and not active.



 






Jewish-Graveyard-in-Sachkhere.jpgSACHKHERE JEWISH CEMETERY


There are three Jewish Cemeteries in Sachkhere, two of them are relatively old. One was active until the repatriation of Jews in the 90s. According to the legend, Jews moved to this region from Western Georgia, Kartli, in the late Middle Ages. There are still several districts called “Uriata districts”.
The oldest cemetery is located on the road near the village of Zeda Skhvitori, Todadze Fortress. It was probably opened in the 19th century. Remains of tombstones with Jewish inscriptions have survived. The cemetery is currently closed and partly well maintained.
The second, relatively new cemetery is in the city of Sachkhere, in the Islar district, near Stalini Street. It is fenced and well-groomed. The cemetery was active until the 90s before the Jews immigrated to Israel. People often come from Israel to visit the graves of their ancestors.
The third small Jewish graveyard in the district is located on the slope of Todadze Fortress. Nowadays, the cemetery was closed due to landslides. It is currently fenced. Jewish inscriptions can be seen on the tombstones.

 






VANI.jpgVANI 







Vani is a town in Imereti region of western Georgia. In the town is a Synagogue, which was built in XIX century and the Jewish graveyard.



 






Vani-Synagogue.jpgVANI SYNAGOGUE



Vani Synagogue is located in Imereti region, Vani municipality which  was built in the 19th century and it is one of the top three Imereti synagogues due to its interior and architecture. It has the status cultural heritage monument and its significance rating is national..



 






Jewish-Graveyard-in-Vani.jpgVANI JEWISH CEMETERY


The Jewish Cemetery in Vani was opened in the 19th century and is located on Otar Lortkipanidze Street. The cemetery is well maintained and Jewish inscriptions are readable. The cemetery is no longer active. Jews from Israel often visit Vani to see the graves of their ancestors.





 






KULASHI.jpgKULASHI 







Kulashi is a small town in Imereti. The town had formerly been a home to one of the largest Georgian Jewish community, whose size has significantly decreased due to several waves of Jewish expatriation to Israel.



 






Kulashi-Old-Assembly-Building.jpgKULASHI. OLD ASSEMBLY BUILDING






The oldest wooden synagogue in Kulashi is about 200 years old (18th century). It was restored a few years ago. Today any visitor can see its stunning ornaments and paintings. The synagogue has the status of cultural heritage monument.


 






Kulashi-Second-Synagogue.jpgKULASHI SECOND SYNAGOGUE





The small synagogue could no longer accommodate Jewish believers, that is why a large synagogue was built in 1902. Wood material is used for construction. Every Jewish quarter of Kulashi had its own synagogue before.





 






Jewish-Graveyard-in-Kulashi.jpgKULASHI JEWISH CEMETERY

The Kulashi Jewish Cemetery is located on the opposite side of the Jewish Synagogues. Soviet-era Jewish tombstones of the 70s and 80s seem to repeat the tradition of Georgian tombs in form and style. The inscriptions on the graves are mostly in Hebrew and Georgian. You will rarely meet only Georgian or Hebrew texts. Over time, the shape of the tombstones changed, the oldest were simple stone boulders, and the newer appearance is distinguished by its complexity.




 






abasha.jpgABASHA 









Abasha is a town in western Georgia. There you can find Abasha Synagogue, which was built in XIX century and the Jewish graveyard in Sujuna.

 






Abasha-Synagogue.jpgABASHA (SUJUNA) SYNAGOGUE






The Sujuna Synagogue was built in the mid-19th century during the reign of David Dadiani. Due to the proximity of the Rioni River, Sujuna was a very attractive and convenient place for Jewish, Laz and Turkish merchants.


 






Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgSUJUNA JEWISH CEMETERY

There are two Jewish cemeteries in Sujuna, located side by side, on Ivliko Efremashvili Street. Sure Subelashvili was a last Jew from Sujuna which was buried in one of the cemeteries. Both cemeteries have local caregivers. Relatives from Israel often visit the cemetery and the graves of their ancestors.






 






BANDZA.jpgBANDZA






Bandza is a village located in the west part of Georgia. In the second half of 18th century Jewish people started to live in the west part of Georgia. At the beginning of 20th century they built a synagogue in the Jewish district of Bandza. There is also Jewish cemetery near the synagogue. The synagogue is not active today but many Jewish people visit it very often.


 







Bandza-Synagogue.jpgBANDZA SYNAGOGUE 


Bandza is a village in the Samegrelo region, where Georgian Jews lived from the 18th century until the 1970s. In the village the Synagogue was built in the 20th century and nowadays the Synagogue is not active and it has Cultural Heritage Monument status.

From Bandza most of the Jews had immigrated to Israel. The Synagogue style is Neo-Romanesque and the construction material is stone. Significance rating of the Synagogue is regional.


 






Jewish-Graveyard-in-Bandza.jpgBANDZA JEWISH CEMETERY

The Jewish Cemetery in Bandza was opened in the 18th century. Currently it is not active, but well-groomed and fenced. Local residents are supervising the maintenance of the cemetery. People come from Israel to visit the graves of their ancestors from time to time.







 





SENAKI.jpgSENAKI









Senaki is a town in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region, western Georgia. There is a Senaki Synagogue, that was built in 1969 and the Jewish graveyard. 


 





Senaki-Synagogue.jpgSENAKI SYNAGOGUE 




Senaki Synagogue was built at the end of the 19th century and was active until the 1990s. Nowadays the Synagogue is in fair condition but it is not active. The Synagogue was recently renovated in 2014 by Kartu Foundation finance the Bidzina Ivanishvili.

The synagogue is located at Peace avenue. The Synagogue construction material is brick. The Synagogue community was 3000 Georgian Jews and it has regional significance rating.

 






Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgSENAKI JEWISH CEMETERY

Senaki Jewish Cemetery is located in the village of Menji, it is in a good condition, well maintained and fenced. The cemetery is old and therefore it is difficult to read the Hebrew inscriptions on some of the tombstones. Ioseb Mikhelashvili's family is supervising the graveyard's maintenance. Only one fence separates between the Jewish and the Christian cemeteries. Jews often come from Israel to visit the graves of their ancestors. 



 





POTI.jpgPOTI









Poti is a port city in Georgia, located on the eastern Black Sea coast in the region of Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti in the west of the country. In the city you can find not active Poti Synagogue, which was built in 1903.

 






Poti-Synagogue.jpgPOTI SYNAGOGUE 




Poti Synagogue was built at the beginning of the 20th century and was active until the 1990s. The Synagogue was recently renovated in 2014 by the Bidzina Ivanishvili Foundation. Nowadays the Synagogue is in fair condition but it is not active. The synagogue is located at Ierusalim St. 9. The Synagogue construction material is brick. 


 






Sokhumi.jpgSOKHUMI




Sukhumi or Sokhumi is a city on the Black Sea coast. It is the capital of the breakaway Republic of Abkhazia. Now this territory is occupied by Russia. As the 1897 census results indicate, there were also many Ashkenazi Jews in Sukhumi. A synagogue was built in the first decade of the 20th century. In Soviet times, the Jewish population of Abkhazia increased greatly, but the Sukhumi Jewish community remained the largest in Abkhazia. According to the 1926 census, there were about 1,100 Jews in Abkhazia, most of them Ashkenazi or Georgian. 


 





ABKHAZIA-SYNAGOGUE.jpgABKHAZIA SYNAGOGUE



A synagogue in Abkhazia was built in the first decade of the 20th century. As of 2009, there are about 150 Jews in Abkhazia, nearly all of them Ashkenazi. The majority of them are elderly, with their average age being 72. The community maintains a synagogue in Sukhumi. Its construction material is brick, both the interior and the exterior are decorated with paintings.











 






l6pYGhwlyPk.jpgTSKHINVALI




Tskhinval is the capital of South Ossetia, a disputed region in Georgia. Now this territory is occupied and has been recognized as an independent Republic by Russia. Tskhinvali was known for its sizable Georgian Jewish population, where the community had its own quarter. According to the Soviet censuses of 1926 and 1939 there were about 2000 Jews in South Ossetia, all but a few in Tskhinvali, today only one Jew remains in South Ossetia, a single elderly woman living in Tskhinvali.



 






Tskhinvali-Synagogue.jpgTSKHINVALI SYNAGOGUE

One of the historical synagogues located in Tskhinvali (Georgia). The Jewish Quarter is part of Old Tskhinvali. It was badly damaged during the 1992 Georgian-Ossetian conflict and the fighting in August 2008. By the beginning of the second half of the 19th century, seven synagogues and religious schools functioned in the Jewish quarter of the city. By the end of the nineteenth century there were six synagogues in Tskhinvali. During the Soviet era, as well as during the recent armed conflicts, the number of Jews in the city decreased significantly. 

As of December 2008, only one elderly woman remained from the Jewish diaspora in Tskhinvali. At the beginning of the twentieth century, there were more Jews in Tskhinvali than other nationalities. 
 





Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgASHKENAZI JEWISH CEMETERY  

The Ashkenazi Jewish Cemetery in Samgori, Tbilisi is closed nowadays to new burials. Its activation is connected to the arrival of Ashkenazi Jews in Georgia in  the 19th century. Many famous personalities from the Jewish Diaspora, including the grandmother of the former Israeli Premier Minister Ariel Sharon, were buried there.





 





Jewish-Heritage-Cultural-Routes-in-Georgia-(1).jpgNADIKVARI CEMETERY















 






MTSKHETA.jpgMTSKHETA









Mtskheta is an old capital of Georgia, this is the place where Jews appeared and settled down, after destruction of the first temple by Nabukhodonosor (586 B.C) and after their persecution from Jerusalem.
 


Jewish Heritage in Georgia 



Jewish Heritage 


Info about Israeli House - member of The European Association for the Preservation and Promotion of Jewish Culture and Heritage (AEPJ), which is working under the auspices of Council of Europe.
 
 
 

Abkhazia Adjara Guria Imereti Kakheti Kvemo Kartli Mtskheta - Mtianeti Racha-Lechkhumi and Kvemo Svaneti Samtskhe-Javakheti Shida Kartli Samegrelo – Zemo Svaneti Tbilisi

Cultural Routes of Georgia

Application form for Cultural Routes of Georgia and the Criterias for Certification